Coat of Arms
From "The Trowbridge Genealogy" by Francis Bacon Trowbridge:
This web page is primarily about the descendents of David Trowbridge (b. 1709), which settled in Morris County sometime during the 1730s. Many of David's descendents now live throughout the United States. If you were to do a web search on Trowbridge genealogy, you wil find a significant portion of web pages are about his descendents. This web site is primarily is about the branch of the family that remained in Morris County. In researching this web page, I relied on a variety of sources, including such genealogy web sites such as Ancestry.com, Family Search.com, other Trowbridge web pages (especially the web pages of cousin Cheryl Trowbridge-Miller, &Sylvie Higgins Paine), research by two of my second cousins, Mary Pavlik and Doug Gawron; the US Genweb pages for Morris County (maintained by Brianne Kelly-Bly); local cemeteries, libraries.
of information in this web site is contained in a
book that has
become a bible for Trowbridge
researchers, "The Trowbridge Genealogy" by Francis Bacon
Trowbridge. Francis Bacon Trowbridge, was a New Haven based
genealogist from the early part of the 20th century who compiled this
book in 1906, following the mass mailing of about 800-1000
questionnaires to members of the Trowbridge family living throughout
the United States. The information that he obtained is an invaluable
source of information for Trowbridge researchers.
"The Trowbridge Genealogy" by Francis Bacon Trowbridge is
available as a free download at the Internet Archive, in PDF, text, Kindle, and other e-book formats:
Genealogy" book can be purchased online through
online retailers such as Higginsons Books, Barnes & Noble:
From the Rutgers University online collection of maps includes an
1872 F.W. Beers map of
Morris County, New Jersey, which clearly shows Trowbridge Mountain located in the lower right
corner of Randolph Township near the Morris and Mendham Township borders:
Trowbridge, the name in early records is variously spelled: Troubrugge, Trobrugge, Troubrigge, Troubryge, Troubbridge, Troubridge, Troberidge, Trobrydge, Trobreeg, Troobridg, Troblebridge, Trobblebridge, Throughbridge, Throwbridge, Trobruig, Trobridge, Trowbrydge, Sturbrigge, Sturbridge, Turbridge, Strobreidge, Strobridge, Strowbridge, Strawbridge, (the final "e" being omitted in many cases). The mode of spelling now generally adopted is Trowbridge. Trowbridge has been used as a surname in England for many centuries, but the exact time that it was first so used is uncertain and the Authors of dictionaries of family surnames do not agree as to its derivation. Bardsley in his "Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames" states that the name was first given an individual on account of his residence at Trowbridge in Wiltshire. It may be said that this was its origin, and that a member of the family removed to Devon and gave the same name to his seat in that county, and it is also quite possible that some individuals in later times may have assumed the name of Trowbridge on account of a residence at Trowbridge.
Trowbridge is a thriving market town situated on a rocky eminence rising from the valley of the river Biss, and in respect of population is the largest town in Wiltshire. The parish of Trowbridge forms part of the hundred of Melksham. On the south side it adjoins the hundred of Wherwelsdown and on the west of that of Bradford-on-Avon. It consists of a strip of land some three miles long and on an average one mile broad, and contains in all 2,443 acres. It is divided into several tithings; on the north is that of Staverton; on the west that of Trowle; on the south that of Studley; and there is also the town Liberty. The town itself is situated, as nearly as may be, in the center of the whole parish. No trace of history of Trowbridge is found until the end of the eleventh century, here we find it in the Domesday book, where it is called Straburg; a strange form of the name, but nevertheless pretty clearly identified with what we now call Trowbridge.
Land of Oda And Other Kings Theghs, Page 192
"Beorhtric holds Trowbridge his father held it in Trey, and it paid geld for 10 hides. There is land for 9 ploughs. In demeshe are 2 ploughs and 7 slaves; and 11 villains and 6 cotsets with 7 ploughs. Ther is a mill rendering 10s and 10 acres of meadow, and 12 acres of pasture. [And] woodland 5 furlongs long and 3 furlongs broad. It is worth 5 pounds now 8 pounds."
The following is a description of CMT from the Charcot-Marie-Tooth Association website:
"...Charcot-Marie-Tooth, or CMT, is the most common inherited neurological disorder, affecting approximately 150,000 Americans. CMT is found world-wide in all races and ethnic groups. It was discovered in 1886 by three physicians, Jean-Marie-Charcot, Pierre Marie, and Howard Henry Tooth.
CMT patients slowly lose normal use of their feet/legs and hands/arms as nerves to the extremities degenerate. The muscles in the extremities become weakened because of the loss of stimulation by the affected nerves.
Additionally, there is a loss of sensory nerve function. Unlike muscular dystrophy in which the defect is in the muscles, CMT is a disorder in which the defect is in the nerves that control the muscles.
What are its characteristics?
A high arched foot is one of the first signs of this disorder. As the disease progresses, structural foot deformities take place. The patient develops a pes cavus foot with hammer toes. Foot drop and ankle sprains are frequent manifestations. The progressive muscle wasting leads to problems with walking, running, and balance. To avoid tripping, patients with foot drop raise their knees unusually high resulting in high steppage gait. In some patients, muscle weakness may also occur in the upper legs. Flat foot is seen as well in patients with CMT.
Hand function also becomes affected because of progressive muscle atrophy, making fine manipulatory acts, like writing, difficult.
The loss of nerve function in the extremities also leads to sensory loss. The ability to distinguish hot and cold is diminished as well as the sense of touch.
CMT also can be inherited in a recessive or an X-linked pattern. The degree of severity can vary greatly from patient to patient, even within the same family. A child may or may not be more severely disabled than his/her parent.
How is it inherited?
CMT is generally inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern. This means that if one parent has the disease (either the father or the mother) there is a 50% chance of passing it on to each child.
CMT can also be inherited in recessive or an X-linked pattern. To determine the pattern of inheritance, each CMT patient should consult a genetic counselor, neurologist or other medical authority familiar with the disease.
How is it diagnosed?
Careful diagnosis of CMT involves clinical evaluation of muscle atrophy, testing of muscle and sensory responses, nerve condition and electromyographic (EMG) studies, as well as a thorough review of the patient's history. CMT types 1A and 1X can now be diagnosed by a DNA blood test. Some people who carry the CMT genetic trait show no apparent physical symptoms. The variation in degree of physical disability, together with a lack of physician awareness of CMT, has often led to misdiagnosis.
Today, the Charcot-Marie-Tooth Association is educating both medical specialists and patients about CMT.
How is it treated?
At present there is no cure for CMT, although physical therapy and moderate activity are often recommended to maintain muscle strength and endurance.
Custom shoes or shoe inserts (foot orthoses) will help to improve gait. Leg braces will prevent ankle sprains, improve gait, and reduce the amount of energy needed to walk. Corrective orthopedic foot surgery is available to help maintain mobility when medically indicated.
Splinting, specific exercises, adaptive devices and surgery can help maintain hand function.
Currently I am trying to track the extent of the disease in the Trowbridge family, namely those descended from David Trowbridge and Anna Youngs of Mount Freedom, New Jersey. If you or any members of your family who suffer from this disease, or any of the symptoms, you can email me at email@example.com. For more information on CMT, visit the above linked website. You can also get more information from the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) website by clicking here.
Morris County Genealogy geography
Know where your family lived. For land and church (marriages, baptisms, burials) records or wills, pre-1738, see Hunterdon, from which Morris County separated (March 15, 1738 or [new style] 1739) or Burlington (Hunterdon separated from, March 11, 1713/14) Counties. The NJ State Archives holds the records of the East and West Jersey Proprietors. Most of Morris County, in 1740, was made up of the communities of Pequannock (north), Hanover (central/east), Roxbury (west) and Mendham (south). The NJ Legislature established 104 new townships throughout the state on February 21, 1798. New communities, and their boundaries, were established by act(s) of the NJ State Legislature. PL is Public Laws, c is chapter (of that year's laws).
Hunterdon County Court Minutes, March 1, 1719/20, constables are appointed for Whippenng and Poquanick.
Court of Common Pleas, Morris County, March 25, 1740, established: Morris Township , Pequannock (var. Poquanick, Peqannoc), Hanover Township and "Morris Town"
1740, December 24, Roxbury (also Succasunna [Suckasunny until 1888] and sections Kenvil, Ledgewood, Landing (Drakesville) and Port Morris
1749, March 29, Mendham Township (from Hanover, Morris and Roxbury Twp.)
1752, list of 435 property owners in the five county towns.
1798, February 12, Washington Township (from Roxbury) Center of Twp is known as Long Valley or German Valley
1799, April 1, Chester Township (from Roxbury and Washington Twp)
1804, February 11, Jefferson (from Pequannock)
1806, Jan. 1, Randolph (from Mendham) PL 1805
1806, February 12, Chatham Township (including what is now Chatham Borough)
1844, April 8, Rockaway Township (from Pequannock)
See 11 towns of the County in 1853 (Rutgers University, Special Collections.
1865, April 6, Morristown (from Morris Township)
1866, March 23, Passaic Township (later Long Hill, also sections called Stirling and Millington) from Morris Township PL 1866, p 666
1866, March 16, Boonton Town (from Pequannock and Hanover) PL 1866, p. 506
1867, April 11, Boonton Township (from Pequannock)
1867, April 11, Montville Township (from Pequannock) PL 1867, p. 936
1868 County atlas in our collection includes names of property owners.
1869, April 1, Dover Town (from Rockaway and Randolph) Called Dover City, 1896-1899
1871, March 11, Mt Olive Township (from Roxbury) PL 1871, p. 695
1887 County atlas in our collection includes names of property owners.
1889, Dec. 27, Madison Borough (from Chatham Township)
1890, Nov. 3, Mount Arlington Borough (from Mt Olive), more land in 1891 from Roxbury Twp
1894, June 19, Rockaway Borough (then called Rockaway Village) from Rockaway Twp
1894, October 22, Netcong (then South Stanhope) from Roxbury and Mt. Olive Twp
1895, June 28, Wharton Borough (then called Port Oram) from Roxbury.
Community made up of "settlements" of Port Oram, Irondale, Luxemburg, Maryville and Mount Pleasant.
1897, March 1, Chatham Borough (from Chatham Township)
1899, March 20, Florham Park (from Madison/Hanover)
1901, March 13, Butler Borough (from Pequannock)
1906, May 15, Mendham Borough (from Mendham Twp)
1913, Denville (from Rockaway Township)
1922, March 11, Lincoln Park (from Pequannock)
1922, March 21, Kinnelon Borough (from Pequannock) earlier known as Charlottenberg
1922, Sept. 1, Harding Township (from Passaic) includes sections Green Village and New Vernon PL 1923, p. 587
1923, April 17, Riverdale Borough (from Pequannock)
1923, March 2, Mine Hill (from Randolph Twp)
1924, March 3, Mountain Lakes Borough (from Boonton and Hanover Twp)
1926, March 15, Morris Plains Borough (from Hanover Twp)
1928, March 12, Parsippany-Troy Hills (from Hanover Twp) PL 1928, p. 893
1928, March 12, East Hanover Township (from Hanover Twp)
1930, Chester Borough (from Chester Township) PL 1930, c. 67
1951, September, Victory Gardens (from Randolph) PL 1951, c. 259
Victory Gardens, during World War II, had been a temporary community of defense industry
workers whose municipal services were provided by Randolph Township.
See also The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries, 1606-1968, John P. Snyder
LOCAL GOVERNMENT WEB SITES
There is a wonderful site
Off The Old Block",
blogger has several
Trowbridges listed in her genealogy.